About the Personal Support Worker Education Fund for Long-Term Care
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care has renewed the Personal Support Worker (PSW) Education Fund for Long-Term Care (LTC). The objective of the fund is to build PSW capacity to deliver high-quality and safe care that meets the needs of people living in LTC. The fund provides tuition and backfill reimbursement for PSWs to participate in continuing education and professional development.
For the second year, the Ministry is working with the Ontario Centres for Learning, Research and Innovation in Long-Term Care (Ontario CLRI) to offer Excellence in Resident-Centred Care (ERCC) training to PSWs. ERCC builds practical skills using a person-centred, train-the-trainer approach. It is delivered in partnership with Conestoga College and the Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging.
Ontario LTC homes are eligible to apply for funding for tuition and backfill for PSW participation in ERCC.
Space is limited. There are limits to the number of LTC homes that can participate, and only complete and accurate applications will be reviewed. Priority will be given based on geographic location, complete and accurate applications, and to LTC homes who did not participate in the 2017/18 PSW Education Fund.
Funding for tuition and backfill is only provided to LTC homes whose applications have been approved. Tuition and backfill reimbursement is only provided for the approved number of PSWs who successfully complete ERCC courses between September 2018 and March 31, 2019.
LTC homes do not need to submit expense forms. Tuition for ERCC courses is covered directly by the fund at no up-front expense to the LTC home. Backfill is covered up-front by the LTC home and reimbursed at standard rate.
Reimbursement for backfill is paid by cheque and is mailed to approved LTC homes within 60 days of PSWs successfully completing the course.
Learn more about funding and reimbursement in the Implementation Guide.
Only certified PSWs working in Ontario LTC homes can receive ERCC education through the Fund.
There are limits to the number of PSWs within each approved LTC home that can receive tuition and backfill reimbursement:
- ERCC Trainer Course: Maximum of 4 PSWs per approved LTC home
- ERCC Team Member Course: Maximum number of PSWs per approved LTC home is determined based on the LTC home’s application and size. The maximum is confirmed when the funding application is approved.
LTC homes need to:
1. Identify a staff member as the Lead Contact. Lead Contacts will be responsible for:
- Coordinating and submitting the online application for funding,
- Supporting PSWs in registering and completing the ERCC Trainer Course,
- Supporting new Trainers in organizing the ERCC Team Member Course,
- Reporting information as requested to the fund, and
- Completion of fund and training evaluation surveys.
2. Identify 1-4 PSWs to take the ERCC Trainer Course. There are guidelines available in the Implementation Guide to help select ideal candidates. Trainers will be responsible for:
- Completing the ERCC Trainer Course (16-hours of online learning followed by an 8-hour regional in-class workshop),
- Working together with the Lead Contact to organize and deliver ERCC Team Member Course(s) in the LTC home,
- Ensuring each PSW registers online at the beginning of each ERCC Team Member Course, and
- Ensuring each ERCC Team Member Course is recorded online upon completion.
3. Provide a computer, internet access and space within the home during working hours for PSWs to complete 16-hours of online learning as part of the ERCC Trainer Course.
4. Provide space and support to certified Trainers to organize and deliver the ERCC Team Member Course for fellow PSWs within the LTC home. There is information to guide this process in the Implementation Guide.
Learn more about the application process in Step 1: Apply for Funding.
About Excellence in Resident-Centred Care
Excellence in Resident-Centred Care (ERCC) training was designed for PSWs to build practical skills using a person-centred approach. It was developed by Conestoga College and the Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging.
The goal of ERCC is to support better care and better outcomes for residents in LTC, but it also benefits PSWs and LTC homes. ERCC has been shown to:
- Increase PSW self-confidence
- Increase PSW job satisfaction
- Improve team morale
ERCC uses a train-the-trainer model to build capacity within LTC homes. Select PSWs complete the ERCC Trainer Course to become Trainers and deliver the ERCC Team Member Course to fellow PSW Team Members within their LTC home. The education is delivered by Conestoga College, and features online registration and online course components delivered through the easy-to-use eConestoga platform.
Organizations that train 70% or more of their PSW team receive special recognition and a certificate.
The ERCC Trainer Course is for PSWs who are engaged members of the team and have interest in training their PSW peers. The course includes:
- 16-hours of online learning (reviewing all 12 ERCC modules)
- Completed online through eConestoga
- Must be completed during a schedule shift (or multiple shifts) in the LTC home
- LTC home must provide a computer with internet access
- Must be completed within 2 weeks prior to the in-class workshop
- 8-hour in-class workshop
- Workshops take place in locations across Ontario; date and location for workshops are assigned to each approved LTC home based on geographic proximity
- Travel funding is available only if travel to the in-class workshop exceeds 100km or 2 hours one way
- PSWs present one of the ERCC modules (assigned to them) at the in-class workshop and learn how to facilitate the ERCC Team Member Course
Upon completion of the course, Trainers are certified and have access to the education and materials through eConestoga to deliver the ERCC Team Member Course to fellow PSWs and are certified for two years.
The ERCC Team Member Course is organized by the LTC home and delivered in-house by the home’s certified Trainers to PSWs working within the home. The course includes:
- 8-hour in-class workshop
- Typically, 1-2 Trainers for groups of 10-20 PSW Team Members
- PSWs are required to complete 7 of the 12 available modules (modules 1 and 12 are required and the LTC home can select the remaining modules based on interest)
- Modules are 45 minutes in length
The following modules are available to be covered in ERCC:
1. Person-Centred Care
2. Safety and Mobility
4. Delirium, Dementia and Depression
5. Palliative/End-of-Life Care
6. Working with Others
7. Infection Prevention and Control
8. Oral Care and Skin Integrity
9. Nutrition and Hydration
10. Pain and Comfort
12. Observational Assessment
All modules are covered in the ERCC Trainer Course. Seven modules are covered in the ERCC Team Member Course. Modules 1 and 12 are mandatory, and the remaining modules can be selected by the LTC home.