Step 1: Apply for Funding
Ontario long-term care (LTC) homes are eligible to apply for tuition and backfill funding for personal support worker (PSW) education in Excellence in Resident-Centred Care (ERCC). This section provides information about applying to the PSW Education Fund for LTC.
- Stay tuned!
Each LTC home must select one staff member, typically a member of the leadership team (e.g., director of care, administrator, or educator) to be the Lead Contact. The Lead Contact is responsible for:
- Coordinating and submitting the online application for funding,
- Supporting PSWs in registering and completing the ERCC Trainer Course,
- Supporting Trainers in organizing and submitting documentation for the ERCC Team Member Course,
- Reporting additional information as requested to the fund, and
- Completing evaluation surveys.
Each LTC home must select 1 to 4 PSWs (certified in Ontario and employed in the LTC home) to become Trainers. For further information on selecting Trainers, please refer to the Implementation Guide.
Trainers will complete the ERCC Trainer Course, which includes 16-hours of online learning, followed by an 8-hour in-class workshop. The online learning must be completed by the PSW during scheduled shifts in the LTC home. The in-class workshop date and location are assigned based on geographic proximity to the LTC home. Travel may be required and if the distance exceeds 100km or 2 hours one-way from the LTC home to the in-class workshop homes can submit an expense form (see the Implementation Guide for more information). Upon course completion, Trainers will deliver the ERCC Team Member Course to fellow PSW Team Members within the LTC home.
Lead Contacts must complete an online application for their LTC home to be considered.
Incomplete or inaccurate applications will not be considered. Be sure to have all of the necessary information ready before applying. See the Implementation Guide to find out what information is required for the application.
The Lead Contact will receive email notification of their LTC home's application status.
If the application is approved:
The Lead Contact will receive email confirmation of:
- Number of approved PSWs who can register for the ERCC Trainer Course
- Number of approved Team Members who can register for the ERCC Team Member Course
- Terms and Conditions of participating in the Fund
- Details on the in-class workshop for Trainers (date and location)
- Instructions for Trainers to register for the ERCC Trainer Course
If the application is wait listed:
The LTC home will be placed on a wait list, as space is limited. The Lead Contact will be emailed if space becomes available.
If the application is not approved:
The LTC home is not approved for funding.
PLEASE NOTE: Incomplete or inaccurate applications will not be considered.
Be sure to have all of the necessary information ready before applying.
See the Implementation Guide to find out what information is required for the application.